Asphalt shingles can weather over time due to exposure to natural elements. This is a normal process that eventually leads to deterioration.
Here are some factors that affect asphalt shingle weathering.
1. Structure Orientation – Slopes facing the south can deteriorate faster due to increased thermal cycling and ultraviolet (UV) exposure. There are also areas in the roof which are more prone to impact from high winds.
2. Roofing Quality – Poor quality shingles will wear down faster compared to high-quality shingles. Quality can differ among manufacturers. You can rely on Ritco Group for high-quality renovation roofing services.
3. Roof Slope Angle – Flat roofs can weather faster due to slower shedding of moisture and direct UV light exposure.
4. Weather and Climate – Extreme weather events can cause roofs to deteriorate faster.
5. Thermal Cycling – Changing climates contribute to the deterioration rate of roofing materials because of constant expansion and contraction.
6. Roof Color – Darker roofs take in more heat while light-colored roofs can deflect heat better. With more heat, an asphalt roof loses volatiles faster, and thermal cycling is increased.
7. Roof Structure Ventilation – Poor ventilation may cause your roof to fail early as it accelerates volatile loss and thermal cycling.
8. Poor Maintenance – Asphalt and any roofing material that is poorly maintained will eventually fail. Routine inspections, maintenance and cleaning can lengthen your roof’s lifespan.
Keep in mind that only trained professionals should perform a roof inspection, maintenance and repairs. Aside from ensuring your safety, this is to prevent damage on the surface of the roof.
Ritco Group is your leading provider of roofing maintenance, storm repair and new roof construction. Call us at (931) 208-2300, or complete our online form. We work with homeowners in Brentwood and Murfreesboro, TN.