You already know investing in a home addition is a huge deal and will probably cost you a whole lot. Just how much will depend on a number of important factors, which should be considered so you can get a clearer idea of what your overall budget should be.
Size of the Home Addition
Most will assume that the bigger the space, the costlier it can be. That is partly true, but this may also depend on the purpose of the space. If it’s just one big room where you can sit on comfy chairs and binge-watch shows with the family, then it might not be as expensive as you might expect. However, if the addition will serve as an extra bathroom or kitchen, you can expect the overall costs to be higher. That’s because bathrooms and kitchens have more custom fixtures. The countertops and cabinets alone will be taking most of your budget, but then you also have to consider plumbing connections.
Location of the Additional Room
Another factor that affects the cost of your home addition is its location. For instance, building the addition up (instead of out) can be less expensive because there’s already an existing foundation. This will also take up less material and labor. Building the new room out, on the other hand, will require excavation, foundation work, finishing and a roofing system. You also have to take into account zoning laws and other building requirements.
Design and Layout
A new room requires a good layout that allows for smoother flow of movement. Choosing a simple layout won’t add much to your home addition costs, but a more complicated one will. Having a complex floor plan means it will take longer for your choice of remodeler to complete the project, which in turn, means increased labor costs. But if you already have your heart set on a more unique layout and design for your space, then you should go for it.
When modifying the layout of their home to accommodate the addition, most homeowners:
- Build a multi-story addition to simplify and expand the layout.
- Choose to add a rear-kitchen as their first floor addition to create better flow and increase space.
- Go for a master bedroom suite for their second-floor addition.
- Rework unusable space upstairs into another bedroom or bathroom for guests.
Necessary Building Permits
A home addition will require the applicable permits from your local building division. The cost of these permits can drive up your project price depending on the home addition’s location, size and complexity. Basically, if the home addition is more complex, the costlier the permits can be since mandatory special tests and inspections may be performed. Getting approval can be a time-consuming process, so try to hang in there.
Where Your Home Addition Budget Is Going
Aside from understanding the factors that can directly affect your home addition, it also plays to check where exactly your home addition budget may be spent. The associated costs may include:
- Exterior design elements: If you’re building out the addition, you’ll need to make sure the new room adheres to the architectural style of your home – from the type and color of its roof to the profile and palette of the siding material. Choose the right window style as well. This way, your home addition won’t look out of place with the neighborhood, and you won’t draw the ire of the local homeowners’ association.
- Clearance and excavation: You’ll need to have a section of your property cleared (if you’re building out the new room) and excavated to prepare the space for the home addition. Concrete footings may be poured, as well.
- Home addition structure: The new room will need additional supports built, such as roof trusses and beams, to connect it with the main structure. You’ll want to make sure these are installed properly (and to code) for you and your family’s safety.
- Interior design elements: You’ll want to make sure the interior of your home addition is just as visually appealing as its exterior. Take special care when choosing carpeting, color scheme, furniture, lighting fixtures and storage.
- Utilities: Any plumbing and electrical connections, plus heating and cooling systems, will need to be installed and tied with the rest of your home.
Working With Us for Your Home Addition
Ritco Group not only serves as one of the area’s trusted local roofing companies – you can also count on us for your home remodeling needs. In fact, we specialize in home additions, helping you plan and create a stylish and versatile space to increase your home’s comfort and functionality. Choosing us to handle this particular home upgrade means you’ll be working with someone:
- Licensed, bonded and insured: Ritco Group has all the necessary credentials that make us qualified to perform roofing and home remodeling work in your area. On the off-chance something goes awry on your property during the home addition process, you know you’re covered. And, because we are deeply familiar with the building codes and regulations specific to this area, you can expect your project to be up to code.
- Experienced: Since 1970, Ritco Group has provided homeowners in Columbia, TN, and the surrounding communities with top-tier solutions for their home improvement needs. We feature a lineup of services that meet a variety of needs, carrying out superior workmanship backed by over 40 years of experience. Expect no shortcuts, errors and callbacks when you turn to us for your project, whether it involves roofing new construction or home additions.
- Good reviews: Ritco Group was founded to meet a demand, but we have gone above and beyond that by delivering personalized service and complete customer satisfaction. Our team is honest, friendly and professional – they will be more than happy to answer any questions and address any concerns you may have. These are just some of the reasons we maintain an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau and continue to receive five-star reviews on Facebook and Google My Business from satisfied clients.
From roofing new construction to home additions, you can always count on Ritco Group for the highest quality results. With our skilled and experienced team, we’ll help you create a lovely, comfortable and versatile space that can meet your specific needs. We proudly serve the areas in and around Columbia, Franklin and Brentwood, TN. Call us today at (931) 381-0175, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We’d love to hear from you!